View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
To the OP, your idea will not work at all. If you have ever taken apart an LCD monitor for repair you'll see that without the backlight you cannot see anything on the screen without a very very bright light.

So before you start rattling off baseless ideas, do us a favour, open up your lcd, remove the fluorescent power connectors and then try to reply to this thread.
That would depend on which type of LCD you're talking about. You have reflective, transparent and transflective (a combination of the other two).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Transflective" LCD screens work in daylight (they are used in LCD watches, the Compaq iPaq Pocket PC, the "JetBook" reader, etc), but they are a lot more expensive than the screens you get in cheap digital picture frames. As you rightly say, such screens have to be backlit or they don't work - as anyone who's had the backlight on a laptop PC fail can testify .
From what I understood, the Jetbook as a reflective screen. And from what I've seen, a picture frame has a transparent screen.

Reflective = no backlight, all light gets reflected on a kind of mirror behind the screen, so you'll need a lighted surrounding

Transparent = backlit, all light comes from the device as the screen is transparent to light. Surrounding light will not (or hardly noticable) be reflected back and thus you'll always need a backlight.

Transflective = backlit, there is a mirror behind the screen which will reflect surrounding light, but it is also transparent so backlight will also get through. The better PDA's will have a screen like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a very good idea, Patricia. A used Palm or Pocket PC should be well within the original poster's price range, and they make pretty good eBook readers - I read on such devices for 20 odd years.
I agree, it works perfectly. I can read in bright sunlight without any problem on my PDA and it also works when I'm in a dark bedroom under the covers
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote