View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I hope it isn't true, but even if it is, I'd consider buying a B&N ebook device IF -- and that's a big IF -- it is open (relatively speaking) rather than closed. If it is simply a B&N version of the Kindle and essentially a closed device, I'll pass, even though I spend a lot of money at B&N buying pbooks and have started buying at Fictionwise.
If a device supports *any* form of DRM, can you really say that it is open? And, is there any device that supports more than one DRMed format?

With that asked, I come to the concern that unless a new device supports DRM it's not going to offer you many current-release books as long as the publishers insist on "protecting" their books with DRM.

Odds are that Barnes & Noble will bring out a device that uses eReader as its primary format -- given that B&N bought Fictionwise a short while ago.

I hear a lot of "the Kindle and essentially a closed device" and just shudder. I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. In my opinion, the Sony is much more *closed* than the Kindle. I was shopping in the Sony online store last night and wound up only picking up the free books (which I already have for my Kindle), because I just couldn't justify getting books that are locked to the device. Although I haven't needed to do so, I'm aware that I could liberate the majority of my Kindle books using the deDRM programs that are floating around.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote