View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Hee. The stuff that I voted 1st place in the short fiction categories all won! I love when that happens.

Mind you, much as I like Connie Willis and love her Oxford time-travel series, I think this year's Hugo would have been much more deserved by one of the other novels nominated.

I enjoyed reading Blackout/All Clear and own paper & e-copies which I re-read from time to time, but it was relatively rather weak for one of her works* and not nearly up to the standard set by her previous Hugo/Nebula-winners in the same series even though it's still an engaging read nonetheless.

But then, these are the Hugos, not the Nebulas, and thus a popularity contest and the series is very popular. Though on that basis alone, I'd have expected Lois McMaster Bujold to scoop the award for the latest Vorkosigan novel.

* Not to mention, seriously flawed with major plot holes/contrivances and apparently also a goodly number of historical/cultural inaccuracies according to people who have more knowledge of WWII-era UK stuff than I do. I think it really suffered from being one very long novel chopped up into two fairly long novels due to publishing industry requirements for printing cheaper volumes.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote