View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Well, a lot of publishers use the page-template badly, putting margins in it that should be specified in the css. In fact it seems a lot of them just paste in a single page-template file that they've found somewhere in the mistaken belief that it makes their output look more professional, but that's a symptom of the poor level of coding skills prevalent in the industry.

Used properly, the page-template extension offers a reasonable amount of extra functionality. It's non-standard, but we're already seeing people playing around with webkit-specific css3 elements to get nice effects on the iPad, so the epub standard is in danger of losing relevance.
Yes, the page-template is used by publishers to specify page margins. They don't use it for anything that you cannot do in CSS. I prefer my ePub to have no margins. That's my personal choice. But what I have to do to achieve that is to delete the page-template, edit the OPF to remove it, and then edit ever XML file to remove the page-template from there. Granted, doing the XML removing is easy with Notepad++ as it allows me to load all the files I want and then do a search/replace on all of them at once. Also, I then have to edit the CSS (would have to do anyway). And finally, I have to delete the page-template from the ePub itself. So that's three extra steps I have to take just to be able to edit the margins via the CSS because of this rather useless page-template.

I've not seen any use of page-template (yet) that could not be done in CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote