View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Finally cracked it: Sample books without Whispernet

One of things that's been bothering me since I got my Kindle was that I couldn't download the free sample books because I'm not in the USA and therefore outside Whispernet range.

Well, I finally figured out how to do it. I guess many of you folk already know this, but I'll post the details for the benefit of those who don't.

The trick is to use the iPod / Kindle sync feature. But first, I had to download the free Kindle for iPod application from the iTunes Store, which was a hassle. Here are the steps:

1. You can't download the Kindle app from iTunes if you are outside the US. So, first, you must set up a new account in iTunes with a US address (a friend's or colleague's perhaps). To do that, first set your iTunes country to United States, using the dop-down at the bottom of the iTunes Store window. Then click the button to set up a new account. You will need the US address at this point, but you don't need to enter credit card info. You will also need to enter an email address for verification purposes.

2. Having got your US-based iTunes account, go back to the iTunes store, search for Kindle, and locate the Amazon Kindle application. Go ahead and "purchase" it (it's free, so you still won't need a credit card).

3. Reset your country and log in with your normal iTunes account (the one you use when syncing with your iPhone or iPod Touch). (Actually, I'm not sure if this step is necessary, but do it to be on the safe side.)

4. Connect your iPod or Touch to your PC and sync the apps.

5. The Kindle app will now appear on the iPod Home page. Open it. It will prompt you to register with Amazon. Do that, using the same Amazon ID and password to which your Kindle is registered.

6. Go to the Kindle Store, either on your iPod or your PC (it's much easier on the PC). Select the book you are interested in.

7. Just below the Send Sample Now button, you will see a drop-down. This shows your Kindle and your iPod. Choose the iPod and click the button.

8. The next time you launch the Kindle app on the iPod, or refresh it if is already running, you will see the sample book, which you can then read on the device.

What I haven't been able to do is transfer the sample to the Kindle, but reading it on the iPod is OK if you only want to review it to decide whether or not to buy.

Hope this is of some interest. If nothing else, it will help convince all you folk in the US how fortunate you are to have Whispernet.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote