View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Since a number of MobileRead participants are SF fans, I thought the winners of the 2008 Hugo Awards, just announced by Denvention, might be of interest:
And for science, I've checked to see which of the work-specific-award–winners are available in electronic editions. I’ve re-arranged and cut a few of the items for my convenience.

Quote:
Novel: The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (HarperCollins; Fourth Estate)
None of Chabon's books seem to be available as e-books. Is he anti–e-book?

Quote:
Novella: "All Seated on the Ground" by Connie Willis (Asimov's Dec. 2007; Subterranean Press)

Short Story: "Tideline" by Elizabeth Bear (Asimov's June 2007)
Asimov’s has an electronic edition (through Fictionwise), but only has the most recent few issues available for sale – I’m not sure if this a policy they’ve settled on or because they’ve just started doing an electronic edition. They do however have all the Hugo-nominees (and Nebula winners) they ran available for free from their web site.

Quote:
Novelette: "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang (Subterranean Press; F&SF Sept. 2007)
F&SF also has an electronic edition (again through Fictionwise), and appears to have every issue they’ve done electronically available for sale, running several years back.

Quote:
Non-fiction Book: Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction by Jeff Prucher (Oxford University Press)
Not available as an e-book. OUP seems to be starting to do the e-book thing, although so far I’ve only seen their books as PDFs and for the Kindle.

This has me wondering how SF-award e-book coverage over the past few years compares with that of general literary awards. I’d have thought it would be higher, but looking at this, perhaps not.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote