View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Thanks for the reply. I absolutely knew a few of the items would be "controversial" which is why I just tinkered in my copy rather than bother you with noise in your incident tracker etc.
Ah, I misunderstood your intent then. I thought you wanted your changes merged in. If you only want to make a few local tweaks, by all means, make the startup procedure rain pink elephants.

Quote:
As for submitting the changes to you, to be honest they are all only a couple of lines of code each and for a guru familiar with the code like yourself I would doubt more than 15 mins work to do the lot.
The changes are low-hanging fruit, but that's usually the best way to get familiar with a new codebase. Again, I thought you wanted the changes merged in.

Quote:
My hesitation in submitting them to you comes from the fact that as I am neither a C++ nor a cross platform developer you might spend more time having to review and "fix" my changes than it would take you to do them "properly" yourself.
Even if you were a C++ "guru" I'd still carefully review any patch, from you or anyone else for that matter. It's one of those "things that need to be done no matter what".

And I don't mind spending time on code reviews if that means some else's code will be better for it. As long as the person is willing to learn and shows potential, I'm willing to advise.

Quote:
However if you are happy to take that risk then for sure I can redo the ones you showed interest in as patches for you to take a look at. It just so happens that I am taking a break from work for a few months more so some more dabbling with Sigil code from time to time if it helped you out at all to start addressing my "deficiencies" above could be of interest.
Seeing as how I'm currently tight on time with university work, having some else working on the code from time to time (even if it's only for the little things; those annoyances do add up) would be great.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote