View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ditto. I've never seen this in anything I've unpacked, etc. Do we have any idea if this is limited to "self-pubbed" files, or...? And when you say, AZW3, @Darryl, do you mean AZW? Or do you genuinely mean AZW3, because to the best of my knowledge, one can't upload an AZW3 file at the KDP for publication, nor FTP one for a bigger publisher. Just clarifying...?

Hitch
I've only noticed it relatively recently, and so far only in actual azw3 files downloaded from Amazon. It may extend to older mobi files also. One thing which really puzzles me so far is that links to chapters etc seem to work in Kindle devices or applications, despite the invalid links in the TOC. When I get the chance I'm intending to improve my knowledge of TOC's, but I am even wondering whether there is something in Kindlegen which creates a TOC valid only on a Kindle or Kindle application.

A reasonably typical example is the Amazon azw3 ebook "Exodus" by Andress Christensen. This is Part 1 of "The Exodus Trilogy" and is currently available for free and without DRM. i have both downloaded the file to computer and had delivered to the Kindle. The behaviour is the same. On the Kindle the TOC links work. In Calibre Viewer, the book can be read normally but TOC links do not work. If converted to EPub and loaded in Moon Reader it will not progress past the first couple of pages, presumably because Moon actually uses the TOC if present to page through the Book in normal reading.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote