View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
@Jellby
You missunderstood my example and my intention. My fault.
The footnote is one which refers to a paperbook
That's fine, I just tried to give one example of how you could do something similar with an ebook (or a paperbook, for that matter).

Quote:
Your example with "chapter 5, par. 23 ff." is exactly what I meant.
I've no strong opinions, if it's appropriate to mention the chapter.

May be a shorter "[Hawking, 1975] par. 1145 ff. is fine.
Shorter, but less useful. You may expect a reader to count 23 paragraphs, but not 1145. And the paragraph number may vary slightly between editions (the odd paragraph break introduced or removed here and there) or translations, and one may count equations, headings, etc. as paragraphs or not... still, with a short paragraph count a reader (the human kind) can at least find the approximate location quite easily.

Quote:
Do you recommend to number all paragraphs here and now?
Or is such referencing style so unusual, that only a very few readers know what that means?
Gosh, no! At least, do not make the numbers visible (unless it's a very technical document that you expect to be referenced very often). And, if the numbers are not visible, they will not be easily accessible My idea with paragraph numbers is that the user can count the paragraphs him/herself. And, if "par." is not recognized, you can use "paragraph" or "¶" (but I'd say anyone who understands "ff." will be able to guess "par.").
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote