View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
personally i prefere inline notes so far. it's still a lot of button pressing to get to the notes and i always read them, and when there are a lot i've found this gets tedious on a cybook (on my eb1150, on the other hand, with touchscreen and hyperlink ability, it's easy and pleasant. just saying.). they can easily be distinguished from the main text in many ways (an hr rule before and after, slightly reduced text size, indent...).
But if the notes are long and/or numerous, they can interfere with the flow of the text. Eg, the wonderful Penguin eBook of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (an example to every publisher of how to produce a good eBook) has many notes in each chapter, and many of them are long. If I'm reading it, I wouldn't look up a note on what a "chaise and four" is, because I know what it is, and I wouldn't want to see the half page of text on it in the middle of the main text either.

In the case of this particular book, by the way, even in the printed book the notes are endnotes, not footnotes. If you have a few words, a footnote is fine, but if you have a page of explanatory text, an endnote works a lot better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote