View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #25408
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Chicken Biryani for dinner, with a new batch of Basmatti rice. Finally, I think we've found a good brand that is consistently available from Amazon. (There's no hope of finding it locally, they sell Basmatti in 500 gm boxes and it's awful. ) We've now managed to source five critical rice varieties from Amazon at high but acceptable prices. (Yeah, I'm fussy about rice. And yeah, I'm sure you're surprised. )
I'm not surprised. Before moving to Asia I was content to eat 'Minute Rice.' After a few years in Japan, I came to appreciate the differences between Koshihikari rice grown in Mie prefecture and Koshikari from Kumamoto. But wasn't until I moved to Thailand the first time that I really began to understand. Until recently, the only rice you could buy in Japan was short grain Japonica rice, though you have a wide choice of Japonica from different rice growing regions, and could buy it brown and have it milled while you waited. But, rice in Japan is unbelievably expensive. In Thailand, you can get ALL different kinds of rice, and it's cheap as dirt!

Now sitting back, watching the sun go down behind Doi Suthep mountain and drinking Ahmad's Darjeeling tea. I don't know how people drink this stuff...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote