View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #72
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Today's News:

1- Surface pre-orders have pushed deliveries for new pre-orders back three weeks. (Maybe the song and dance stuff *does* sell tablets. Who knew?!)

2- The MS Office on RT tablets is the same code base as Office for x86, just recompiled. The only thing that makes it a "Home and Student edition" is the licensing which is for personal non-commercial use. Companies *can* use it for business purposes if they are already licenced for Office 365 or the other x86 versions. Or they can buy a specific commercial use license. (BTW, the only thing that is "preview" about Office RT is that it was sent to manufacturing before Office 2013 went Gold. The final version will be out within a month so anybody taking delivery afterwards will get the final version.)

3- The reason Surface RT ships with 32GB storage is because, like the x86 version of Windows 8, WinRT itself (and Office) reside in the SSD volume, not in a separate ROM. And they take up 10GB between them. So 32GB is more like 22GB user accessible storage.

With that in mind, yes, they do need to cut the price once the early adopter frenzy cools off. Say in January.

One more time: Surface RT is a *PC* not a mediaPad. It plays by PC rules and PC pricing. It goes where the existing products don't go. And in those places the price is probably acceptable.

But me, I don't like in those spaces anymore, so I'm even more sure that it is best for me to wait. I want to see the Nexus 10, the FireHD9, the NookHD+, and maybe even the baby unicorn. Plus the other Win8 tablets, both RT and Pro. I can wait till spring if I have to.
I too am interested in the pricing.

Still I don't know if it will replace my netbook.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote