Thread: Sony or iRiver?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #58
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you have a text only pdf or a well formatted pdf with pictures and graphs, reflow works fine. Pdfs with graphs/pictures show the page without text first, if you turn the page, you get the reflowed text without graphs/pictures until you hit the next complete page. I find it quite pleasant how the 600 handles pdfs, and in my opinion handles them similar to adobe reader on a pc.
If you zoom in (no reflow), the page gets displayed like a big jpg (quality depends on wether you have real or image pdf) which you can just drag around like with the mouse cursors on a pc.

All in all the UI and handling of the 600 seem quite finished. The reader does what it does. Not more not less. So there are no "extra features" like calendar, games and such and most likely they never will come from Sony (maybe by having hacked FW), but it works really fine.
I've had the Sony 505 before and knew how images and text looked on it. So it was very important for me that zoom and pan work well as I read a lot of tech. pdfs. Reflow was important to have for text only documents (epub, pdf,...).
I had checked this in a local store and when I thought it should work ok for me, I jumped the fence and bought one (it was very important to me to get my hands on a unit before buying). I like Irivers design and would have gone for it, but there was nowhere to check it out. And reading this forum, I knew that "future FW updates" were supposed to improve the reader.... hmmm, doesn't sound like a finished product.

I hope this helps. But keep your eyes open. Depending on what is important for you, you should also check out the other readers on the market. I wish the 600s screen was bigger.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote