View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
okaaaay !! calm down ! my intent was not to make you angry. yes, a lot of companies close for part of the month of august. bookeen probably is not one of them but they probably are operating with a reduced staff. i can see that you have a hard time understanding this but culturally it's very important, and in fact legally you are not allowed to work all year long (we have legislation about working conditions which is very strict, and it includes things like "you can't work 7 days a week" and "you can't work 52 weeks a year". personally i feel that's a good thing.). so if you are a small business, yes, you might close the whole shop for a two weeks or a month. it's a quality of life / health thing, you know ? it's important to take a break from time to time.

bookeen as i said is therefore probably running on a reduced staff (and, again, this is completely normal and in fact legally inevitable). they are a small operation. you know this. i am sure that they are doing their best, and we have seen that they are making efforts to improve response time. i think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

as for their product, i'm very sorry that you have some problems with it, but perhaps you're being too harsh when you say it's a lemon. i know a lot of people who have no problems with they cybook whatsoever. it's a fragile piece of relatively new tech, so some problems are bound to come up, but overall i think it's really a nice device.
ZP,

I *get* vacation time. We have Vacation Time over here in the US. But we're smart enough to know that one schedules those vacations over the course of several months so that the "reduced staffing" is like 10%-15% of total staff. It's one of those "cultural things" where the customer is considered important enough that a company ensures sufficient staffing to meet crises, problems and general business. It's called "being a successful company". The French *may* have heard of the concept - clearly it never took.

As for "lemons"... Let's see. My *first* Cybook broke - screen. My first 512MB Cybook broke - broken screen. This Cybook I've "inherited" broke - bad update, *AND* was a replacement for an older 64MB "broken" Cybook - bad update. I now have two Cybooks-one shipping out today-both of which are less than 6 months old and a history of several broken Cybooks - from two customers.

Can you say "lemon"? I knew you could!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote