View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I disagree. I think it's going to be huge to the ebook reader market.

The Kindle used to be the measuring stick that any new reader was compared to, but even before the iPad was announced the news sites were comparing it to what they thought Apple would announce. The iPad is going to be the new measuring stick.

The gadget sites will never understand dedicated ebook readers. They don't understand why we would pay $500 for something that just reads books. They understand features (screen resolution, camera pixels, processing power, memory capacity, wireless speeds and feeds). They are all about the 5 minute demo of flashy features. They don't care about which is more comfortable to read for 2 hours and neither do most consumers.

The potential market for dedicated ebook readers just got a lot smaller and I agree the eink prices will need to drop.
How can it affect eBook reader world any more than a new CPU from Intel, or a new netbook, or a new laptop, as long as they use conventional type of screens and energy source? In a theory it might affect laptop/netbook world (although I doubt because of its single task feature and non-Mac OS X).

Quote:
The gadget sites will never understand dedicated eBook readers.
What does it have to do with eBook reader’s world? When people, who wanted to buy eBook readers, actually listened to them? Those who did listen, they didn't want eBook readers, but wanted cool gadgets. I mean people who need eBook readers will look for eBook readers. It has nothing to do with iPad. iPad is as much an eBook reader as laptop or netbook, so why should iPad affect, or have any more impact than previously mentioned gadget. It is just another gadget that has many different features along with eBook reading application (so do my netbook and laptop although they are multitasking!). So what? It has the same sucked screen as any other gadget that strain your eyes, the same shitty battery life for eBook reading for hours and hours and hours.
Any potential book reader who would be interested in iPad would not be interested in eInk in the first place So, how could iPad affect eInk based eBook reader world?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote