View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #592
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I will readily admit that I am a 'hoarder'. I have a basement full of books, and ebooks are wonderful for feeding this habit because they don't take up so much space!

If I want a book for my Kindle, my preference is ALWAYS to buy it, but in the case where I have a paper copy already and the ebook is not available anywhere but in a torrent, I also readily admit that I will download the torrent.

I am not a willing thief, and I am really looking forward to the day when all books are available for purchase in ebook format. In the interim, there are those perverse situations I've run across...

...a book is released that looks good. It's part 2 in a series. Part 1 is only available via torrent. So, what do I do? Pass on both books, or buy the one I can and download the first one so I can read them both? Bear in mind that I would vastly prefer to buy both!

...I see an interesting book in the Kindle store. This one is part 3 in a series. In an annoying example of perversity, parts 1 and 3 are available for Kindle. Part 2 is not. Yes, I have seen this, and can give examples. Why the heck this happens is beyond me. So do I buy the two I can and go looking for the middle one from anywhere I can find it? Which would the author prefer, I wonder? (and, no, Steve, please do not suggest I buy part 2 in paper, I travel a lot and I carry my Kindle. I have no room in my suitcase for paper books when the Kindle already has at least 50 books on it at any given moment).

... I've been wanting to read a particular book for years. It is long out of print. There it is in a torrent. Do I take it? Yes, I am afraid I do. I wish Amazon had it available in the Kindle store...

I guess my point is that until every book is available in ebook format, pirates will be with us.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote