View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #142
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
My word of the day is reredos - an ornamental screen covering the wall at the back of an alter. Love my kindle dictionary.
What are the odds! I looked up "purdah" earlier today, another screen based word:
a. A curtain or screen, used mainly in India to keep women separate from men or strangers.
b. The Hindu or Muslim system of sex segregation, practiced especially by keeping women in seclusion.

I also found that the word is used in the U.K. the world of politics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_...ection_period)

That I learned so much from checking one word shows the value of looking things up. Had I glossed over that word, dismissing its use as pretentious and high-falutin', I'd have really lost out.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote