View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #173
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
How have I not heard of Gary Disher before that's darn unpatriotic of me thank you
Count me in as a Garry Disher fan, though more for his Hal Challis series. They've just started making the Wyatt books available here in the US; read two so far and IMO they're much harsher, more thriller-ish than the Hal Challis books.

Anyway...I'm posting, melmac, 'cause I discovered a new (to me) Australian press yesterday that features several classic crime titles: Wakefield Press. Looks pretty interesting - of course, per usual, not all titles available everywhere, but I did pick up this one for kindle, which won the first-ever Edgar:

Beat Not the Bones by Charlotte Jay

In this novel, a naive young girl travels to Papua New Guinea from Australia, determined to discover the truth about her late husband's death: Was it suicide or murder? The story fleshes out its characters: a sheltered girl on the verge of womanhood, father figures with unfatherly intentions, and men and women on the brink of nervous breakdowns. Geraldine Halls, writing here as Jay, has fused these elements into a suspenseful tale of terror. A world-traveling native of Australia, she spent several years working in Papua New Guinea, an experience that enabled her to landscape her story with an authentic tropical background and to create convincing anticolonial literature through her sensitive characterization of both the white administration and the native population.

Wakefield Press:
http://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote