View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
PaulLeadbeater
PaulLeadbeater began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I have now wired-up a micro-B plug with pins 2 & 3 linked, pins 4 & 5 linked and 5V across pins 1 & 5; plus connecting the shield to pin 5 (as the OEM's plug).
Using a 5V 1A (I don't yet have a 2A one) USB charger, I get real charging, indicator light and recognition by the Vox that it is charging.
This now works exactly the same as the supplied charger BUT, the Vox will not respond to the touchscreen while the charger is powered.
I think this is the solution to 3rd Party chargers but is limited to non-operation of the Tablet during charging. Don't know if anyone has suggestions - I suspect noise on the cable may be causing the problem (there is a larger capacitor across the Kobo charger output than across the one I'm using).
I have now tried another power supply (5v 2.5A stabilised) and everything works perfectly!!
So with the right poer supply and my modified cable we have a 3rd Party solution to charging the Kobo Vox
If someone can make the special cable - any offers?

Last edited by PaulLeadbeater; 03-28-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Updated information
PaulLeadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote