View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #64
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I don't believe in either miracles or magic ... but some belief systems just don't lend themselves to that sort of thing.

As for swearing ... I had a long discussion with my mother on the topic when I was young. She was rather upset that her youngest daughter (me) had developed a mouth like a trucker (not her fault, I caught it working with the hired hands on the ranch).

My thought on the matter was ... and still is ... that it's not the words that are "bad," it's the intent behind the words. If I mash my thumb in a car door a few swear words are entirely appropriate, and since they aren't directed at anyone, I don't feel that they are "bad" in and of themselves.

About the strongest word I ever throw at someone to insult them is by calling them an idiot ... but swearing ... love it ... great stress reliever.
Yeah, when you mash your thumb, as in missing the nail and hitting your thumb, you need a nice long swearing phrase (mine is son-of-a-bitch) to get the emotion out. Short four letter words have to be repeated several times to be effective.

I obviously led a very shelter life when I was younger. I was 32 when at a "public" park they were having a dog show. Over the loud speaker they announced, "The showing of the bitches will be at two o'clock." I actually cringed, but it got me thinking. That was a perfectly legitimate use of the word. I decided there are no inappropriate words, just inappropriate circumstances and uses of words. Young people need to learn this. I wish I had learned it much earlier in life.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote