View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #56
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
"Print is dead."
-Dr. Egon Spengler, 1984 (look it up)

I think we should all give up on the idea that, in the future, people won't be able to read. They'll have to read! If they can't read, they can't learn... if they can't learn, they can't become engineers and scientists... if there are no engineers and scientists, we sure as hell won't have any e-book readers around!

People still need to read, in order to function in the society we've been grooming for the past 3000 years.

Now, making sure they enjoy it requires compelling content. I think the content is there, though it needs expansion (more e-magazines and e-newspapers, for example... print mags and print-and-online newspapers are enjoying successful sales now, and I think their e-versions will ultimately sell better than e-fiction), leaving DRM and price as the only real hurdles here.
Until brain wave interpretation or perfect speech recognition enable connection to a net, the written word is the ultimate learning tool
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote