View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #53
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
It seems as though this thread is maybe a tad off-topic.....allow me to add to the wobble.

So, e-ink/e-paper is pretty much a laminated cover sheet with pretty moving words.

If e-texts are to be universally appreciated and utilised, these conditions much exist:

1. a universal, compact, durable, simple reader. e.g. a single sheet of e-paper that one can fold, spindle (but not mutilate) that fits into a purse or back pocket, with about 64 MB of storage (that's a few novels, some service manuals, dirty pictures, and the latest copy of wired & WSJ, I think?)

2. Absolutely do restrictions such as DRM. The data must be free--to travel to & from my e-paper notepad, my laptop, my PDA, my wife's gadgets, and the ones owned by all my friends

3. New, topical, and interesting content much be cheap, or cheap as free. RSS feeds, newspaper subscriptions, Rowling's latest novel, &tc must cost no more than paper equivalents

4. Someone explains to everyone on the planet that we can stop using so many tress (paperless world my lovin'.....) and rather turn dead dinosaurs into nifty little displays that's we'll effortlessly carry around for 10+ years

Oh! And make sure that everyone can still read and enjoys reading by 2050
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote