View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Old Gothic Novels

I finally decided to start reading Matthew Gregory Lewis' notorious Gothic, The Monk. I even sprang for an Oxford edition to get the introduction and other stuff.

Then I started to see what else was out there in eBook editions. I knew there were eBook editions of the famous Gothic titles -- The Castle of Otranto, the Ann Radcliffe books, etc. But I didn't realize there were eBook editions of quite a few of the less well known titles. There are a couple of companies that specialize in these books. Some of the books are so rare there only only a couple of known copies in existence. Some of them can be pricey, but they include really nice introductions, and it's the only way to read these titles other than microfiche.

So has anyone else read these books? Suddenly there are so many to choose from. Which ones do you recommend? Also, do you know of any other publisher reprinting the ultra-rare Gothics?

One of the publishers is Valancourt Books. Here are at least some of their Gothics on Amazon. I don't think they have them on B&N.

Another is Zittaw Press, although they only have a few titles in Kindle editions.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote