View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Search from clipboard plugin

*** This plugin has now been moved to it's own thread - download from the link below ***
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118765

This plugin offers several shortcuts to execute a Calibre search using whatever text is on the clipboard. Windows shortcut keys shown.
Ctrl+S - Execute a wide search (no quotes around clipboard text)
Ctrl+Shift+S - Execute an exact search (adds quotes around clipboard text if none existing)

I mostly use it when browsing the web and spot an author or title that I want to see if I already have in Calibre. Copy the web text to the clipboard, switch focus to Calibre then hit ctrl+S (or it's alternative). I find this more convenient than selecting the existing search text in the search box, pasting in the clipboard and hitting enter.

It can also be handy when resolving duplicates within Calibre as you can select the title of the book and do ctrl+c, ctrl+s to execute a search on it (the Calibre built-in "Similar search" option does not include titles as an option). Likewise if you do a wide rather than narrow search (i.e. without quotes) it can also offer a fast way to help find authors that differ in minor ways such as spaces between initials, names reversed etc.

Special Notes:

I have not tested this plugin on anything other than Windows. If someone running Calibre can feedback success or failure on other platforms it would be appreciated by others I am sure.

Installation Steps:
  • Follow steps as per first post above
  • I don't bother adding this item to my toolbar/context menu as it's intent is as a fast keyboard shortcut. It is however possible to do so.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Moved to own thread