View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
csandste
csandste doesn't littercsandste doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Just picked up four new Libres for $60-$70

Had a re-certified Nook with a display that died after a few days, took it back to B&N, got a Kobo at Borders for $110. Found a close-out Libre at Ultimate Electronics for $69.99. At that price, this is a good deal. Actually like it much better than either the Nook or the Kobo-- faster page turns, larger type available, display as nice as e-ink IMO. Bought three more for Christmas presents, two of the three last copy shelf-displays that I picked up for $59.99. Now my only question is which of my daughters are going to receive a slightly used Kobo.

BTW-- My few days with the Nook convinced me that the color control panel and wi-fi weren't really worth it. Downloaded a library book but getting around the download web page was painful with the rudimentary browser. The book went somewhere, I could see it when I looked at the Nook as a drive, but could never use it. Used the USB connection for the next copy and figured that the Wi-Fi would be mostly good for buying B&N titles at the B&N. Not worth the extra battery drain. When B&N refused to exchange it for a new one, I got my money back and went Kobo. Perfectly adequate, but frankly both my wife and I prefer the Libre. Hope the quality on the other units is OK.

Also, Borders repeatedly refused to sell me a Libre at the price advertised on their web page. They said that it was for mail order only, I pointed out that the wording said "in store only", to which they said sorry, can't do it. Called Ultimate from their store and locked in the remainder units, had to drive to three different stores in St. Louis but the price made it worth it. Libres were still marked $149.99 in two of the stores, no wonder they didn't move quickly-- but at least it came up at the lower price on their cash register.

Last edited by csandste; 12-19-2010 at 05:34 AM.
csandste is offline   Reply With Quote