View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Worried would be a gross exaggeration. But I see little progress at the top end, other than incremental processor spec improvements which will mostly matter for gamers. I would like to see new screen technologies, more storage space (128 or 256 GB) and RAM, as well as some innovative new formats (flexible, foldable, whatever). It seems most efforts are concentrated on making things cheaper.

Which will force me just to keep using my TouchPad. Well, at least I am saving some money!
There are tablets with 250GB of storage space (Archos), but they use a hard drive; adding an SSD of such capacity would add too much to the price and it'd become a niche product. And there are other factors, tablets are expensive enough as it is (top of the line cost as much, or more, than laptops), adding more features would limit the market further due to price considerations. There is a clear price point were buying a tablet is more of an impulse decision, and $199 seems to be in the ballpark. There will always be top of the line tablets for those willing to spend big bucks, but most people will settle for a middle of the road tablet. And another big consideration is platform adoption; if you get people into a specific ecosystem, there is a good chance that they'll stick to it, that's why offering a cheap tablet is so important.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote