View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Corporate Raider
Corporate Raider began at the beginning.

Device: So far none
Looking for a reader (for reading financial documents)

Hi

I read a lot of financial documents (reports and balance sheets) as well as financial textbooks and business. Most of them are in the PDF format, but there is an occasional DOC, RTF and excel. At the moment I do not own any mobile devices, and have no other option but to read them on my desktop computer or print them out. My eyes hurt when reading them on the computer for extended periods of time, so I try to print out as much as possible, but lately it is not cost effective because of the price of paper, ink, etc. And most of all, I'd like to be able to read on the go.

First, I Googled the web in search for some service which would printout my pdf's in a double-sided book/booklet form and then mail them to me. Couldn't find anything like that. Pity, because it would be useful if it was cheaper than buying a high-end printer.

I've also thought about getting a PDA, but the screens are waay too tiny, and I dont want my eyes to shrink with fatique.

I will definitely get a device. I've thought about my options, and the directions in which I am leaning at the moment are:

1) Tablet PC.
2) Sony Reader
3) iLiad

I am considering a Tablet PC because the books and documents I read tend to contain highly technical information using graphs, colors, and often small fonts. Tablets are well utilised for that due to their large colour displays. But their drawbacks are price and battery life. What do you think about using Tablets? How are they for reading ebooks? Any particular models that are suited better for reading than others?

Sony Reader also looks good, because it is relatively affordable and because it is a popular choice, which means that it is tried and tested, a "dependable dog" in the US but sadly it has not gained any exposure here in UK.

iLiad is also considered, because it was mentioned in this section of the forum that it is the best for reading A4 type PDF documents and has the best quality of the screen.

So what do you think? Any other options I should consider?

thanks, regards
C.R.
Corporate Raider is offline   Reply With Quote