View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought 'uppity' was a euphemism for some sort of assualt that couldn't be specified in polite society. Freed slaves were quite often described as behaving insolently towards women, without being murdered for it.

Melanie's second pregnancy is a bit of a puzzle to me; I struggle to believe Ashley would have got her pregnant, or that Melanie would have risked leaving Beau motherless.
I'm from the South and in my childhood segregation by law of schools, restaurants, water fountains, bathrooms, et cetera was the rule. In those days, whenever someone spoke of an "uppity negro", it invariably referred to a insolent black person who "didn't know their place." I've never known it to be used as a euphemism for anything worse. That isn't to say that there couldn't have been different connotations for the word in the late 1800s.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote