View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #36
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
I've just started Gone With the Wind and I've gotten to about the same page. I'll finish it. It might take awhile. But I don't much care for the world Mitchell creates in the novel. You've got the upper classes with Scarlett's family and friends, the Negroes and beneath the Negroes (because even they need someone to look down on), the Poor White Trash, who are so barely human they might as well be in an. H. G. Wells novel.

I want the North to come in and wipe these people out, which obviously isn't the author's intended reader response.

I'm finding Mitchell's attitudes on race and class sort of repulsive but the novel's entertaining and readable enough I'll keep going and also because if I commit to reading a 1000 page novel, then I'm gonna do what I can to finish it.
Good on you for finishing it. I just don't enjoy the book. I can see where she is going with it and that it is a good description of what the south was (apparently). I just dislike Scarlett too much - and why read a book I don't enjoy. So I concede on this one quite happily. I tried and didn't like it. Would be interested to know what you think at the end of it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote