View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #32
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
105 pages in and I give up. I just can't get past the characters - although colourful described I dislike them. And I just can't be bothered reading this book again when I dislike the characters so much.

I will however follow the discussion as I am interested as to why everyone thinks this book is so great.

Soz, total failure here
I've just started Gone With the Wind and I've gotten to about the same page. I'll finish it. It might take awhile. But I don't much care for the world Mitchell creates in the novel. You've got the upper classes with Scarlett's family and friends, the Negroes and beneath the Negroes (because even they need someone to look down on), the Poor White Trash, who are so barely human they might as well be in an. H. G. Wells novel.

I want the North to come in and wipe these people out, which obviously isn't the author's intended reader response.

I'm finding Mitchell's attitudes on race and class sort of repulsive but the novel's entertaining and readable enough I'll keep going and also because if I commit to reading a 1000 page novel, then I'm gonna do what I can to finish it.
njm is offline   Reply With Quote