View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Although the two characters are nothing alike, when I think of Scarlett's strength, I am reminded of another strong female character, Erle Stanley Gardner's Della Street from the Perry Mason books. I remember one scene in particular (although the book's title escapes me) where Perry and Della walk straight up to a door guarded by a ferocious dog. Because neither Perry nor Della showed fear, and because they boldly walked past the canine caretaker as if they owned the place, the dog accepted their alpha status did not molest them.

I'd be afraid to test how well that would work outside of novels, but I do remember that the pit bull we once owned got loose one day and ran up behind a woman who was walking down the street and began to bark. The woman spun around and pointed her finger in his face. I was too far away to have any idea of what she said, but Cain's response was clear. He shut his mouth, tucked in his tail, and plainly said in doggie-body language, "Yes ma'am. Sorry, ma'am. Won't happen again, ma'am."

Then again, Cain always was all bark and no bite ... fortunately!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote