View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
CNN Story about Sony's "latest salvo" into eReader Wars

Looked for this but may have missed it... if this is a duplicate thread, feel free to close this one.

I just found the following article on CNN Money about the new Sony readers coming out:

Sony fires latest salvo in e-reader war

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
In what is fast shaping up to be a war in the e-reader marketplace, Sony (SNE) has launched the latest salvo, a sub-$300 touch-screen “Reader Touch Edition” and the $199 “Reader Pocket Edition,” which features a 5-inch display. The company is also lowering prices of ebooks. New releases and best-sellers will all be $9.99, matching Amazon’s (AMZN) price point for the first time.

In addition to lowering prices, adding a touch-screen and trimming form factor, Sony is also attempting to differentiate itself by opening the ebook market place. It offers free access to the 1 million public-domain books digitized through the Google Books Project, and ebooks purchased at Sony’s store, which use the standard EPUB format, can be shared on any combination of six PCs and e-reader devices. Owners of the Sony devices can download ebooks in the library for 21 days.
I'm not sure if I understand this... does this mean that Sony is going to start offering EPUB formats which can be shared with other non-Sony readers? This would be a huge advantage over the current Kindle strategy. If it is true, I would think that Amazon would be in a position of perhaps opening their Kindle books as well to non-Kindle owners.

Or am I misinterpreting this?

Other interesting quotes:

Quote:
Unlike Kindle, the Sony devices, available later this month, will sell at many retail outlets, including Best Buy, Costco, Target, and Wal-Mart.
Quote:
Haber says the company has been working on a wireless device and plans to announce availability soon. The Christmas selling season would seem a safe bet. “We will be sharing more things later this month and more later in this year,” he says. “We’re breaking a brand new price zone with a pocket-size reader. It’s a really wonderful experience. It will introduce ebooks and epaper to a whole new audience. But this is the beginning. This is not the whole story.”

Last edited by purl4peace; 08-09-2009 at 02:46 PM.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote