View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
K3 is mangled - cannot update to 3.4

Hello lurkers and devs. My problem seems more connected to the dev part of the forum, hence the location of this post.

Today I tried to update my Kindle 3G +WiFi (US) from version 3.1 to version 3.4. The update failed. I tried to do a ;dumpMessages but nothing appeared in the "documents" directory.

Due to my stupidity, my device was littered with all kinds of mods and hacks. Luckily, I kept a log of all the install and uninstall files that I had used in the past. You know how it is - new device, hands itchy to hack it and mess with it. My behaviour has changed since that period, but the fact remains - my K3 is stuck at firmware 3.1.

I tried uninstalling everything:
ss hack
font hack
physkeyb
lpad
freedownload mod
usbnet
readability mod
dev keys
jailbreak

After the uninstalls did not help, I tried a factory reset, as suggested in a similar thread with a user who had to uninstall all their customizations. Still no progress.

Being radical and impulsive regarding electronic devices, I decided that I would go the "clean slate" route - a recovery with ATK to 3.0.2. I loaded it on a Virtual Win XP machine. It installed fine. When I tried to follow the wizard in ATK, I got an error message: "No USB detected", as if the drivers had not installed correctly. That might be the case, and then again, might not.

I suspect the actual culprit might be my attempts to stop K3 from sending log reports to the Amazon servers. My memory betrays me as to what I edited exactly, but I believe I was following those two threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129524

I find myself in a difficult and precarious situation, hence my cry for help from you guys and gals. My hopes lie with the knowledgeable users on this forum. I appreciate any help on the matter.
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote