View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #113
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Gone by Mo Hayder has dropped again. It dropped to $3.99 in May, went back up, and now is $3.60.

Quote:
Jack Caffery and Flea Marley continue to share the spotlight, with their partnership developing into a sort of Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia Sachs relationship (with more sexual tension and as often as not working at cross-purposes). It picks up six months after the conclusion of Skin, with Flea’s team in departmental crosshairs, their bonuses at risk and her leadership in question. She is still covering up the death of Misty Kitson for her brother (Caffery witnessed her disposing of the body, and is keeping his distance), and this backstory is filled in as you go along.

The main plot is about child abduction—a carjacker wearing a Santa Claus mask who steals the car of a vicar’s wife, with her 11 year old daughter in the backseat, from a parking lot. Caffery is called in to investigate and is confident the car was the target and the girl will be returned, until Flea reminds him of two other open cases with similar MO, both with young girls in the cars. Then creepy taunting letters start arriving, presumably from the perpetrator. Caffery consults with the Walking Man, the eccentric homeless billionaire whose daughter was abducted and murdered (with whom Caffery has a special bond because his brother suffered the same fate) who warns him that “this one is cleverer than anyone you’ve ever dealt with.”
The Education of a Pulp Writer: 10 Crime Short Stories by David Cranmer from BTAP is free.

Quote:
The characters in The Education of a Pulp Writer: 10 Crime Short Stories feature people living on the dark fringe of society. An old woman tired of her husband’s lack of ambition is rather uninterested in his disappearance. A magician learns too late how far his unfaithful wife will go to be with her new lover. A dementia patient seeking refuge in a fallout bunker holds off the police to protect his beloved, long-gone wife. These and seven more thrilling tales originally appeared in top publications like Out of the Gutter, A Twist of Noir, Pulp Ink, and Needle: A Magazine of Noir.
Pandora's Temple by Jon Land is the latest in his Blaine McCracken series that I posted about earlier. Just came out this week and is reduced to $2.99. Two of the others in the series have gone back up to their regular price, so grab these if you are interested.

Quote:
What if Pandora’s Box were real? Blaine McCracken finds himself facing this very question—and the greatest threat to mankind—in his long-awaited return to the page

Rogue special-operations agent McCracken has never been shy about answering the call, and this time it comes in the aftermath of a deepwater oil rig disaster that claims the life of a onetime member of his commando unit. The remnants of the rig and its missing crew lead him to the inescapable conclusion that one of the most mysterious and deadly forces in the universe is to blame: dark matter, both a limitless source of potential energy and an unimaginably destructive weapon.

Joining forces again with his trusty sidekick Johnny Wareagle, McCracken races to stop two deadly enemies who want the dark matter at all costs. A powerful energy magnate and the leader of a Japanese doomsday cult both seek the ultimate prize for their own nefarious reasons, and McCracken and Wareagle’s mission to defeat them takes the duo on a nonstop journey across the world and thousands of years into the past where the truth lies in the ancient Pandora’s Temple, built to safeguard the world’s most powerful weapon.

McCracken’s only hope to save the world is to find the mythical temple. Along the way, he and Wareagle find themselves up against Mexican drug gangs, killer robots, an army of professional assassins, and a legendary sea monster. The hero of nine previous bestselling thrillers, McCracken is used to the odds being stacked against him, but this time the stakes have never been higher.
Free - Somewhat Damaged by David Rogers from Wild Wolf Publishing.

Quote:
I carry on. I see each day through.
I go to work, I come home.
I sit and drink alone.
I never rest.
I do what has to be done.
I keep him trapped in the basement.
I lose myself a little more each day.

A disturbing descent into madness, fuelled by an all-consuming quest for revenge.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote