View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Note that a fully static host toolchain and fully statically linked target binaries are two different beasts. (By 'host' I'm referring to our native Linux distro or whatever you run your TC from, and 'target', the Kindle).

Checking if you actually *really* need a static toolchain is fairly easy, if you're missing some older/newer dependencies (and libstdc++ is indeed a fine exemple of this, in some cases), it will simply fail to *run*, you won't even have to hit *build* failures .

If you build your TC yourself, that should be of fairly minor concern to you, unless you intend to distribute your TC.

On the other hand, fully statically linked *target* binaries are not necessarily a good idea, especially with an (e)glibc based toolchain, like we discussed a few times with knc1 (your second post is a fine exemple a what happens when you try ^^ [well, not the undefined refs]). If for some reason you *really* want fully static binaries, better use an µcLibc TC. But like I said in the post you linked, it's not really necessary on the Kindle.

And I concur on reading up on flameeyes' blog (he's been a Gentoo dev for longer than I've been using Gentoo, FWIW) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2012 at 10:36 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote