View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I have to say, while I appreciate the irony and exposure of hypocrisy, I really don't see how this is a criticism of copyright per se. If anything, this is an argument in favor of copyright, as the aggrieved artists are using copyright laws in order to redress numerous contract/copyright violations by the music industry.

True, the recording industry frequently cites copyright as the mechanism by which they protect artists' content, has pushed for excessively punitive laws, and has flailed blindly during the transition to digital. But even if copyright laws were significantly relaxed, there's a good chance the record companies would find some other loophole to exploit. The root issue is the record companies allegedly violating their contracts, not abusing copyright. I see no particular indication that whatever system replaces the record labels will necessarily result in artists being treated any better, or that the people involved will act in a more ethical fashion.

What does she have to do with this?

I mean, she's not a great poster girl in the "copyright wars" anyway. She did nothing to support the artists whose work she distributed in an infringing manner; two juries have concluded that she egregiously lied in her denials of culpability. She also had numerous opportunities (and still does) to settle for a smaller sum, and apparently refuses to settle. The laws may be too strict and the judgment outlandish in her case, but she's not exactly an innocent victim who is pure of heart or intent.

By the way, it's pretty well known that the record industry (and labels both large and small) frequently indulges in shenanigans like this -- and apparently the movie industry is even worse. AFAIK this type of conduct is far less prevalent in book publishing though.
When is it ever a criticism of copyright? Isn't it usually a criticism of government handing out new rights to IP holders freely while stripping them from consumers all in the name of big business? That and the continued idiocy of said big business in not improving their business but instead suing people in demand of continued survival of aging business models? etc. etc...

I think most copyright related commentary comes from people who actually support copyright, just, with more of an eye towards how it supports the smaller individual or cultures.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote