View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #29
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
- Formatting - I've so far only been reading ebooks that were... 'acquired' through non-ebookstore means. One thing I've noticed is that the formatting doesn't seem to take into account the 'section breaks' that you frequently have in novels. You know, like... [...] where the double space between the paragraphs indicates the section break, whether for a different scene or a POV switch. In the ebooks, I've noticed that this break is missing, which results in my reading a paragraph and realising halfway through that the POV has suddenly switched.
This is likely the result of poor post-processing of scanned and OCRed (automatically text-converted) print material, in the course of which lines tend to get turned into paragraphs, or the result of a bad conversion process from some other text format (e.g., PDF to ePUB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Is there some way to correct this? And more importantly, do ebooks downloaded and purchased from stores (whether B&N or WHSmith or ebooks.com or wherever) suffer from this same issue?
There's no solely tool-based process, I'm afraid, because whatever tool was to fix section breaks would need to have a way of distinguishing among regular sentence ends and ends of paragraphs.

If the book in question is an ePUB, you can use an ePUB editor such as Sigil (free) to correct line breaks manually, but this will prove extremely tedious even for a single book because you'll have to essentially process the entire book sentence by sentence and compare it with another format in which paragraphs are evident.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote