View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you not have satellite TV available in your part of the world?
Yes. I was comparing cable companies trying to prevent municipalities from offering broadband to them trying to prevent municipalities from offering cable back in the '80's and early '90's. Now we have cable in the county and satellite service too. Back then satellite was a big dish and people used them to pirate HBO and other cable shows. I remember when HBO first started scrambling their signal to prevent this. Some of my relatives had them.
Our city wanted to put in a municipal cable company to compete and lower prices. We were paying more than twice what cities like Atlanta paid for less content. The cable company took them to court. When that failed they offered the local politicians a supposed deal that would eventually lower our cable bills. The city took the deal and, surprise surprise, our bills went down for one year and then back up.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote