View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Lack of a universal format is not the issue IMO, most of the devices support epub, I think pricing and availability are the bigger issue. Many books are still not available in digital format, and many of the ones that are available in ebook format are priced too high.
Well, you see... pricing of devices is in my opinion not an issue as they are priced according to the region (I'll be paying around 90 euros more for my iPad than in the USA and the same goes for most readers). Availability is also becomes less relevant. That is unless you're looking for really obscure works. I think the coverage is fairly ok.

But I'm also of the same opinion of the people in Wired. You see if you want to share a book, the other person should be able to read it with his comp/reader. Personally I have adopted the packaging format PDF. As this should work in most computers. It also supports some kind of DRM. If Epub is better I do not know.

One thing that they didn't mention is... A standard for wireless sharing! If I have reader BLUE and you have reader PINK and I want to send you book Waste of Time. Right now, today, you would be sad because I cannot send it directly to your reader =( . Perhaps it's a naive thought but I think it would complete the functionality of ereaders compared to normal books (me giving/lending you a book) and catapult them to normal appliances.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote