View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #585
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just added a few more completed to my list, made it to 114 and will probably finish a couple more before the end of the years since I'll be home. I didn't do as many audiobooks this year. I normally listen to them in the car, but for some reason, music was holding my interest there this year.

I'm reading Michael R. Hick's series "In Her Name" now, which Fantastic Fiction describes as "epic futuristic fantasy trilogy", though the series now seems to be up to six books.

The first book is "Empire", and Amazon is currently offering the Kindle version free: http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Redempt...ds=in+her+name

Quote:
EMPIRE is the coming-of-age story of Reza Gard, a young boy of the Human Confederation who is swept up in the century-long war with the alien Kreelan Empire. Nightmarish female warriors with blue skin, fangs, and razor sharp talons, the Kreelans have technology that is millennia beyond that of the Confederation, yet they seek out close combat with sword and claw, fighting and dying to honor their god-like Empress.

Captured and enslaved, Reza must live like his enemies in a grand experiment to see if humans have souls, and if one may be the key to unlocking an ages old curse upon the Kreelan race. Enduring the brutal conditions of Kreelan life, Reza and a young warrior named Esah-Zhurah find themselves bound together by fate and a prophecy foretold millennia before they were born.
I normally avoid the "coming-of-age" type stories like the plague, but this one is done well in that the story jumps ahead years at a time, starting when Reza is about seven and his parents are in the military defending their planet against the Kreelan, so there's no year-by-year recitation. I like the characters; they've got some complexity to them and the story is well-told. I don't know that I would label it fantasy - seems to be more scifi/military scifi to me. Esah-Zhurah is his keeper, since humans are considered "animals", so it's not one of those "two young outcasts banding together" types of stories, which is more typical of fantasy stories.

The author also has another series, The Harvest Trilogy, and Amazon is also offering the first book in that series, "Season of the Harvest", free: http://www.amazon.com/Season-Harvest...chael+r.+hicks

Quote:
At a genetics lab where a revolutionary strain of corn is being developed, FBI Special Agent Jack Dawson's best friend and fellow agent is brutally murdered, his body torn apart.

Jack is convinced that Naomi Perrault, a beautiful geneticist and suspected terrorist, is behind the murder. But when Jack is framed for setting off a bomb that devastates the FBI lab in Quantico, Naomi becomes Jack's only hope of survival.

Confronted by the terrifying truth of what the genetically engineered seeds stolen by his friend are truly for and who is really behind them, Jack joins Naomi in a desperate fight across half the globe to save humanity from extermination...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote