View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #63
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
What is the obsession "the cloud?" When I pay for a file, I want a file that I can own and control. On the cloud, you own and control nothing! I make some exceptions - Netflix, for instance, which I see as pull-driven competitor to push-driven telesion media. However, the people out there looking forward to the day that they have an empty console with no onwership rights to any programs and entrust the privacy and security of their data to a third party (which the most superficial examination of the current climate on rights to privacy ought to give one pause - CISPA, for example.) People are embracing the loss of property rights and privacy in their computing, and not really gaining much of anything in the exchange. Why?
I agree, when I buy something, I want custody of it. With Netflix, I'm not buying anything. I'm paying for access to a service, just like I would do if I had cable. (It ditched cable a few years ago) Books are tiny, the storage requirements are negligible, so the justification that we save space by having them on the cloud doesn't make sense.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote