View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
Questions for A81/W1060, SmartQ 7, and SmartQ V7 owners

I think I've read all the many threads about these units, and am seriously considering buying one of them. My particular use will be as an ebook reader, and I've got a few questions that I didn't see directly addressed (but which are very important to me).

I typically read in several short snatches throughout the day - maybe a couple of minutes at a time - and so I need to know how fast I can get back into "ebook reader mode". I don't want to keep the device plugged in all the time, so that means the device needs to boot _very_ fast, or has to have a sleep/suspend feature that (a) doesn't drain the battery and (b) resumes quickly.

(Just for comparison - I've got an REB1100 dedicated (old) ebook which turns on instantly - there's no OS on it. I've also got an iRex iLiad eink ebook which boots into Linux and takes almost a minute until I can start reading. I'm not expecting REB1100 speed (I wish!), but I can't stand iLiad speed...)

So, given your actual use of these devices, can anyone help answer these questions?

1. How long does it take to boot?
2. Does it have a sleep/suspend?
3. How fast does the battery drain in sleep/suspend?
4. How fast does it wake up from sleep/suspend?
5. What kind of battery life, overall, are you seeing?

And of course, if you also want to tell me how happy/unhappy you are overall with your device, that'd be great to know too. I'm aware that there's some dissatisfaction with all of these devices - nothing is perfect - but if what's currently shipping will do the job for me as an ereader, I'm willing to live without the promised upgrades, updates, new OSes, etc., etc.

Thanks!
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote