View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #364
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
But DRM in ebooks is, except for the possibility of a company going out of business, transparent, easy and virtually unnoticeable. The same did Apple to DRM and guess what, it suddenly works. People are buying DRM music because they don't notice it anymore.
I cannot comment on how much the Apple DRM gets in the way of customer enjoyment, because I don't buy music that way. But my experience of DRM in books certainly doesn't match yours. You can claim that for you, DRM in books is "transparent, easy and virtually unnoticeable." Many other people don't feel that way about it, and no matter how often you repeat your claim, those other opinions still count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Fact is, music sales have been going down dramatically. We have reached the lowest numbers since 1993. But since 1993 music consumption has skyrocketed because of the Internet and cheap mp3 players. If more is being consumed but less is being sold, than piracy and other illegal activities account for the difference.
I think you are confusing correlation with causation. Just because two things happen at the same time does not mean one causes the other. Attempts to find a causal link between these two events by reliable researchers have failed. Unless you can reference a peer-reviewed study that establishes the causation you are claiming, whether via advanced statistical methods, an air-tight chain of reasoning, or both, your claim simply won't be believed here, no matter how often you repeat it.

We have all heard both of your arguments before (DRM is painless, piracy is ruining the music industry/will ruin the book publishing industry), made by you and by many others before you, and so far, many of us find the evidence for both to be completely lacking. Please provide new evidence to support your claims, or stop repeating them.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote