View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
greeneggs
greeneggs began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-reader for Academic Reading

I'm looking for an e-reader for reading journal articles and scanned pdfs both with and without OCR. Virtually all of the documents are pdfs (without DRM), although there's a few that are doc/docx and djvu as well as a few other types here and there. In case it matters, there's going to be charts, tables, and equations in virtually everything I read. The main reason I want it is because I don't particularly like reading for long stretches of time on my laptop but I also don't like printing off so much paper. I'm willing to spend probably around $400.

My main question is whether to wait a few months or just buy something now. I'm willing to wait a bit for substantial price drops (>$100) or better technology; but by January at the latest I want to pull the trigger on something unless there's some sort of amazing advances just around the corner.

Here are the things that are very important to me:
Large screen
E-ink or something that isn't like looking at a laptop screen
Way to organize my collection on the device so I can easily find things
Handles pdfs very well
Zoom
Easy page navigation/can skip around quickly

Not necessary but positives:
Handles doc/docx and djvu. So the more file types supported the better
Expandable storage through SD card
Ability to use links and bookmarks in pdfs
Color would be a small plus, but E-ink/better readability trumps it easily
Easy to hold and fairly light
Able to make notes, annotations, and bookmark spots
If it works from the onset / i.e. don't need to convert files or install apps
A backlight that could be turned on and off (if there is such a thing)

Things I don't care much about:
Being able to do things other than read on it
wireless or 3g
text to speech
access to book stores; I don't plan on using it for casual reading
aesthetics of the device

I had been thinking about the Kindle DX Graphite as it seems like a pretty good deal with the price drop and it has a new screen and zoom. The zoom isn't exactly what I'd like since it would be nice to be able to target the area myself and have it zoom to fit; but it's zoom should still be good enough. The main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is I worry about it's ability to read and navigate efficiently in pdfs. Also I'm not sure if it's navigation is the best.

Do people think these fears are unfounded and the Kindle DXG is the best option for me; or should I perhaps wait for the pocketbook 901, a sony reader with the new e-ink screen, or something else?

Thank you in advance for your help.
greeneggs is offline   Reply With Quote