View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I really don't understand why so many people think the iPad is going to kill dedicated ereaders. It seems like a great idea for someone who wants a multifunction device that, oh by the way, they can read books on, but I'm having a hard time seeing this as a device for serious readers, what with the eyestrain issues, reading difficulty in sunlight, extra weight (my DX is already pushing it) and poor battery life.

And there are a couple of things I haven't even seen mentioned. Since this is a real computer with a hard drive and a backlit display, I have to believe it's going to throw some amount of heat. When I'm not reading on my DX, I usually have my notebook in my lap surfing the web, and the heat from that really gets bothersome. I wonder how the iPad will do in that regard.

The other thing is the touchscreen/no keyboard. I can't imagine sitting down to read a book with fingerprint grease all over the screen. Maybe it's just me, but I'm holding out for a color DX with WiFi. That's all I need.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote