Thread: Review?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Ravenflight,

Part of the problem is that my display racks (I'm using some designed for small collectible plates.) and my compact fluourescent photofloods (Daylight balanced) haven't arrived yet. So even though the light-tent I have is large enough to accommodate the Sony PRS-500, the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 *AND* a Dell Axim x51v side-by-side, I don't have everything I need to get consistently reproducible lighting for the review photos. That means the images I shot of the graphics novel pages were taken with my 14-45 zoom and the itsy-bitsy pop-up flash on my Olympus Evolt E-300 - and believe you me, that is one TINY flash! Other than a quick High-pass filter to sharpen the overall image, I did no contrast or exposure adjustment to it. I'd have used the flash for the first of the Sony-Cybook side-bys but I couldn't get the glare out.

My bad. But I'm shooting the next batch using a new Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi, 10.1 megapixel) and the photofloods will arrive by Friday. Hooray! Consistent, soft, broad lighting!

I promise the lighting will be much better.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
Yes but in the first set of pictures the screen looks grey- like the Sony. In the second set it looks much whiter- like paper. Which is it? Also even with beta software we can still get some answers to what differentiates the Cybook from the Sony, and how much better the vizplex is over the last generation e-ink screens- Ghosting and contrast. Also more details on fonts, button placement and navigation, user interface- how the unit feels in the hand- how much lighter is it, etc.

There will always be improvements in software (hopefully), but that doesn't mean we can't get at least some sort of review of what they have now.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote