View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #148
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I think I get what you want and it depends on whether I can figure out how to have MuPDF render only text primitives from the PDF file. I will add it to my k2pdfopt wish list. Thanks for the idea.
Idea number two, but please don't laugh too loud rolling on the floor if this sounds silly to you

Now that 6" eink readers are pretty cheap, I read some of those problematic-size pdf's like magazines, newspapers, A4 or bigger books etc. with two e-readers situated next to each other.

Two kindles are about 18 cm wide in portrait mode and 24 cm wide in landscape position, meaning much wider than kindle DX at about 20.

So, there is not necessarily need for croping the margins but just for cutting the pdf vertically in half for the left and right kindle.

I've already done it number of times using k2pdfopt.
For landscape position: display dimensions 560x1470, landscape, wrap off, column detection off, margin close to zero, output about 190.
For two kindles in portraite position: (-h 735 -w 1120 -wrap- -m 0 -col 1 -vb -1)

After k2pdfopt I've been using free cutting tools (pdfscissors, a-pdf page cut etc.) for cutting k2pdfopt pages in half in a few seconds.

Reading pdf's this way is not problematic at all.
It is good though to use some cardboard or similar beneath readers as a shim for easier holding and fixing readers together.

Anyway, those interested should now know that they can use k2pdfopt for this purpose also, but it would be nice if we could do it all within k2pdfopt only.

Last edited by markom; 09-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote