View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
That reminds me about 'The guards' by Ken Bruen. The book has around 300 pages (mostly one/two word sentences or lists). Out of which may be 20-30 were the real mystery. The remaining is the hero boozing around. I was almost convinced that the copy that I have was missing many pages, until I read the reviews from goodreads. I liked his writing style though.

Anyone has an opinion about Kate atkinson, Laura lippman, Tana French or Nancy Pickard? I read good comments about them (I love psychological mysteries).
Ken Bruen is all about atmosphere and lyrical writing...and it's quite dark too. Although I wouldn't say all of them are quite that lacking in mystery! Generally speaking they are too dark for me.

Laura Lipman is hit or miss for me. She has written one that I thought was just awesome, but every other book I've tried by her has been pretty ho-hum. Nancy Pickard writes what I'd call old-fashioned mysteries. They're solid, but I'm not necessarily captured by the characters every time (I've only tried two or three.)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote