View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Of course, there's no guarantee that this will work with all KF8 enabled devices and apps, and it goes without saying that undocumented features shouldn't be used for production Kindle books. However, since the device and app that I tested it with (K3 and Kindle for PC respectively) are pretty much the lowest common denominator, it's highly unlikely that the specific pseudo classes that I included in my test book won't work with more recent devices and apps since updated firmware/KindleGen versions rarely remove support for existing features.
I also made sure to only include pseudo classes that KindleGen 2.8 compiles without displaying warnings. For example, both the K3 and the Kindle for PC app also support :​before with auto-incrementing counters just fine, however, since KindleGen 2.8 displayed a W28002: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. warning for them, I didn't include them.

Just to be on the safe side, I also added a short disclaimer to my initial post.
Hey, Doitsu:

Actually, I'd note that in my opinion, K4PC is not one of the lowest common denominators. It displays some things (like the NCX) that aren't displayable on other Amazon "devices." I'd wonder if any of those would work in the Paperwhite, and, of course, with pseudo-classes like "first-letter" and child classes do you have any possibility of creating any fallback media queries for the earlier, K7 devices? Or, because K7 doesn't really "use" CSS, does any fallback coding get ignored? Just a question. (I mean, hell, last I looked, even Nook didn't support the pseudo-classes.) I'm very appreciative of the testing and the results!

I'd love to use pseudo-classes and I'd really love to use the nth for table coloration, but...I think that would leave the K7 looking pretty damn barebones. We usually go to some lengths to ensure that we provide fallback styling for any K8 elements that won't "fly" on the K7, even to creating fallback styling for images that float in K8 but not in K7. I'd have to see if the fallback could indeed "fall back" and make something for the K7. Interesting.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote