View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
sundog
sundog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon's new cover image requirements

So, I thought I was all ready to upload my first .mobi through KDP for sale in the Kindle store. It has an embedded cover at 600x800, as recommended. During the upload process I found that Amazon's cover image requirements recently changed (back in April). Apparently, Amazon now relies on a single cover image file that is uploaded during this process and that serves as both the web bookshelf image and is automatically compressed and embedded into your ebook content file as part of the conversion process. They now require the image to be a minimum of 1000 px in the long dimension, and recommend 2500 px for better quality.

My questions are:
Since Amazon says they will, without giving any choice to the publisher, compress and embed the uploaded file into the ebook to serve as the embedded cover image, do I now need to go back and remove the cover image I had embedded?

Also, since they're requiring this much larger image file to be uploaded and will embed it into the ebook during conversion, won't this increase the download delivery cost for sales through Amazon, while taking away the publisher's control over the file size?
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote